- - - - -

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Book Review: milk and honey ♥

Author: Rupi Kaur
♥ Pages: 204 

♥ Synopsis (from Goodreads)milk and honey is a collection of poetry and prose about survival. It is about the experience of violence, abuse, love, loss, and femininity. It is split into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose, deals with a different pain, heals a different heartache. milk and honey takes readers through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look. 

Personal Thoughts: To begin, you should know I'm not a huge poetry fan. Aside from the poems I was assigned to read in high school (see: forced) I never really felt the need to immerse myself in poetry when I could read a novel and have just as great a time as poetry buffs. milk and honey really changed my perspective on poetry as a whole. From the first page, I was completed enraptured with Kaur's story-telling with subjects varying from the difficult relationship she has with her father to the, in my eyes, mutual pitying relationship she has with her mother, sexual assault, and finally with her lost love. I wasn't prepared for how close to home the majority of her poems hit me, so I did take a tiny break between the ones that were the most heartfelt for me. I loved how the chapters were broken into four parts because it really makes it easy to jump back to a part that you really want to read again. I could read this a thousand times and still find myself in a poem.  If you are easily agitated by mentions of sexual assault or sexual references, it might be best for you to skip over this book. This book helped me look inside myself again and actually think about past personal matters that I pushed back to forget and made me realize that I deserve the best. 

Here's a sneak peek of a some poems inside!
I wholeheartedly give this book a 5/5! It's relatable, heart-wrenching at times, but it really gives you a feeling of content when you finish reading it. This book helped me look inside myself again and actually think about past personal matters that I pushed back to forget and made me realize that I deserve more than I believe I do. My only issue with this book (which isn't about the book per say, just about myself in regards to the book) is that I can't fully relate to the final chapter because I haven't healed and I don't know when it's going to happen, but I do know that if it does I'll r-read the last chapter with all the hope in the world. All in all this gif does a pretty good job of showing how I feel when I read this book! 

I hope you liked this review! I'm very excited for all the book reviews coming! It'll include manga as well :> IF you have any questions or comments leave them below and I'll reply as soon as I can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment